Sunday

Final Piece - Day Three

Today has had much the same flavour as yesterday - frustration. This has mainly been mechanical. My poor sewing machine has taken a real beating over the last few months and despite my promises to send it for a service, the three weeks I'd have to leave it at the shop was just unthinkable. I do have a backup machine, and there are machines at college but none of them have the walking foot which has become quite so important to my work. Today this lack of servicing started to have consequences. The impressive amount of fluff that keeps building up around the throat plate of my machine was not going away with a gentle swipe or blow any more so in a fit of anything-but-more-bloody-sewing I unscrewed parts of the machine I have never looked at before and found a whole warren of dust bunnies. I cleaned them out with an impressive array of brushes, pins and tweezers. Satisfied I began sewing again.

Khhtnunk.

For those of you who don't sew, this is a bad sound for your machine to make. It was the sound of my walking foot falling apart. Walking feet cost about £30 and you usually have to source them online. I don't have time for that. What I did have time for was an impressive amount of swearing, before resolving that I couldn't make it any worse so I may as well have a go at fixing it. I got a screwdriver and started investigating. After some poking, disassembling and reassembling it turned out that a little screw had worked itself loose from overwork and all it needed was tightening.

Ready to go again I also put in a new needle for good measure and couldn't resist a picture of this vintage gem in my sewing drawer.

The rest of the day consisted of line after line of sewing. Right now the quilt is nearly halfway through the first stage. I really have underestimated how long this is going to take.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...